In response to numerous community enquiries regarding Fosterville Gold Mine’s Fox Baiting Program, please find below some additional information about the program and our approach pest management.
• Fosterville Gold Mine is required to conduct pest control as a condition of our Mining Licence MIN5404, administered under the Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Act 1990 and regulated by Earth Resources Regulator.
• Fosterville routinely manages pest animal populations on our premises via 1080 baiting programs, our last 1080 fox baiting program was completed from Nov 2021 to January 2022.
• The Crown Land Managers of the Wellsford Forest and native bushland (immediate to Fosterville Gold Mine’s operation) also routinely undertake 1080 baiting programs for pest control within Crown Land.
• Fosterville’s 1080 fox baiting program is being undertaken in accordance with the prescriptive requirements for using 1080 animal bait, as detailed on the Agriculture Victoria/DEEECA website (https://agriculture.vic.gov.au/farm-management/chemicals/requirements-for-using-1080-and-PAPP-animal-bait).
• Fosterville has notified neighbouring landholders of the 1080 fox baiting program in accordance with these requirements.
• There are a number of useful online resources available to community regarding the safe use of 1080 bait and the management of risk to native fauna, including the PestSMART website (https://pestsmart.org.au/domestic-animal-safety/the-facts-of-1080-baiting/).
• Prior to commencement of the program, Fosterville received multiple enquires from local community members who raised concern regarding increased pest fox populations in the local area.
• We recognise there are varying community viewpoints regarding the control methods used for pest management.
• Pest animal control is essential for minimising impact on native flora and fauna and farmed livestock, and there is a regulatory requirement and community expectation that Fosterville Gold Mine is a responsible land manager.
If you have any questions regarding the above information please don't hesitate to contact the FGM Community Team on 5439 9000 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org