Electrical engineers design, develop and supervise the manufacture, installation, operation and maintenance of electrical equipment, machines and systems. Work is in an office environment or onsite at the electrical system or infrastructure. Suitable for people with good problem-solving skills and a strong grasp of mathematics and technical design.
- Develop, design and update engineering plans and calculate project costs
- Plan and design power stations and power generating equipment
- Develop products such as electrical motors, components or other appliances
- Supervise the installation and maintenance of electrical systems
- Determine what kinds of circuits transformers and other equipment is needed for a project
- Understand and interpret drawings, standards and regulations
- Design ways to generate, distribute and manage electricity
- Write reports and develop instruction manuals for installing new electricity systems and equipment
- Oversee electricity system tests and correct any faults
To become an Electrical Engineer
A bachelor’s degree in engineering or science with a major in electrical engineering is required.